Wednesday, March 14, 2012

$200 and a Flat bed Truck



"What Girls Want" was the debut single from Material Issue's second release, Destination Universe.  This was the follow up release to their 1991 release, International Pop Overthrow, which got noticed with hits "Valerie Loves Me," "Diane" and "Renee Remains the Same."  Their record label, Mercury, was really high on the band and saw a chance to build on the success of Material Issue's debut release by getting them back in the studio and then out on the road. 

Alternative radio, as a music format, didn't really exist yet - Q101 in Chicago had not even made the switch - though it would a bit later in 1992.  So outside of the college radio format, promoting to mainstream radio, whether it be Top 40 or Rock radio, was the way to go. 

When the first single, "What Girls Want," was being serviced to radio stations, I was the Director of Secondary Promotion for Jeff McClusky and Associates - the largest independent record promotion company in the U.S.  I loved Material Issue's first release and was excited to see what this hometown band could do with the follow-up.  I made a pitch to work the single with our list of secondary radio stations and got the green light.  The "Secondary's" were Top 40 radio stations that were either not yet a part of the Radio & Records reporting panel or were stations in smaller markets around the country.  My philosophy was that even though these were not big markets individually, that as a whole, the secondary markets reached almost 11 million people.  So it was like reaching out and adding another Los Angeles or Chicago to the listening arsenal.  These markets ranged from Battle Creek, MI and Wilmington, NC to Mankato, MN, Dodge City, KS and Laredo, TX.

Laredo, TX currently has a population of 188,000 with 180,000 (according to the latest Arbitron ratings) being Hispanic.  It is also an interesting market because even though the U.S. reach is just under 200,000, Laredo radio reaches an additional 500,000 people right across the border in Nuevo Laredo.  KRRG Radio, Energy 98, was one of 175 stations my department talked to on a weekly basis.  I had become pretty good friends with the programming team (Mark and Al) at the station and I had already visited the station once to further build on our relationship.  The first time I got off the plane in Laredo, Mark met me at the airport and with a big smile, an arm-on-the-shoulder handshake and proclaimed "Holy shit, Paul - you just doubled the white population in Laredo!"

Energy 98 was getting ready to celebrate a station birthday and wanted to put on a free show in downtown Laredo.  They had a local band to open their event, but they needed a national band to headline their party.  I asked if they were interested in the Material Issue song because I had heard that the band was available to do some shows  - helping promote the new album.  The station just needed to cover the cost of travel, back line, etc.  Mark and Al talked it over and decided it would be a fun show.

I called Tony Smith at Mercury Records (who had hired me on the project) and told him what we wanted to do.  "Laredo Texas?!  What are they going to do in Laredo Texas?"  But after some discussion, realizing that the station was a strong supporter of a lot of his records, as a favor to me and as a way to show the band that the label was doing everything it could to promote them…he agreed.  Wow, I thought - we just might quadruple the white population in Laredo with this show.

Laredo is a beautiful little city, loaded with incredible architecture, heritage and very friendly people.  I landed in Laredo the day before the show to make sure the station was set, had all of the required back line, items for the food rider and closed off on all of the required details.  Mark, Al and I pulled up to the center of town to look over the progress of the set-up.  I got out of the car and saw a stack of cones, 4 crash barricades, and a flat bed semi. 

"Paul - I know what you're thinking," Mark jumped in.  "Don’t worry.  The sound and back line will be here in first thing tomorrow and we have 4-6 police officers that will be here as well for security." 

Now I don’t think they felt they were unprepared.  I do, however, think that culturally, there was a lot of trust in the audience and how everyone would behave during this concert.  But there was no way I could have the band, who we needed to soon pick up from the airport, feel that the station was unorganized or that they would ever feel like they were any danger with a potentially large crowd.

"Hey Mark - when is that flat bed going to be moved?" I hesitantly asked. 
"Why, do we need the stage to be somewhere else?" Al asked as he tried to envision what the event would look like.
"No - that is where the stage should go - but the flat bed is in the way," I countered.
Mark looked at me with a curious look on his face and stated, "Well we don’t want to move it then - that is the stage."
BOOM!

Knowing we had a few things to figure out in the next 18 hours before show time, we got back in the car and headed to the airport.  Laredo airport in 1992 was not hard to navigate.  It had two gates.  So if your party wasn't at Gate 1 - move 50 feet to your right and they should be at Gate 2.  The band was flying from Chicago through Dallas and connecting on a prop plane to Laredo.  Mark, Al and I waited at the gate for everyone to de-plane.  Everyone got off - except the band.  I ran over to the nearest pay phone and called the record label.  They didn't have any info so I called the travel agent. 

"Oh - they didn’t make the flight.  There was bad weather out of Chicago and they didn’t make the connection in Dallas in time.  Don’t worry - they will be there tomorrow - first flight arrives at 10 a.m." 

CRAP - I have a show that is supposed to start at 2:30 p.m. and I won't even have a band until 10 a.m. - hopefully.  I told the station not to worry (crossing my fingers) and we went back to work at the stage area.  The station arranged for more barricades, set up check points, got security involved to go over a game plan, went shopping for the food and beverages for the rider and made sure t-shirts and other prizes were set for the show.  Now - the stage.  The station called around to see if they could get something brought in to replace the flat bed, but the closest stage was in Brownsville.  Being that it was just under a 4 hour drive from Brownsville to Laredo…this just wasn't going to happen. 

Around Midnight I finally got hold of the tour manager at a hotel in Dallas and filled him in on where we were for the show.  "Sounds like we should be O.K.  Jim, Mike and Ted are good about improvising and will make the best of it."  Deep sigh…I could sleep tonight knowing we should be prepared for tomorrow.

At 10:00 a.m., we met Material Issue at the airport as the station was on the air broadcasting the band's every move.  This was a big deal.  It is possible that Energy 98 learned this "every move programming" from CNN and their coverage of Desert Storm.  We got them over to the hotel around 10:30.  A bit after Noon, Jim Ellison, the lead singer and guitar player, called me in my room and said he wanted to go check out the stage and get a feel for where they were going to play.  He, Ted Ansani and Mike Zelenko were tremendous to work with and were in pretty good moods - under the travel circumstances.  We pulled up to the center of town and immediately Jim asked me what the back line was doing on the back of a flat bed.  I explained the situation and that the tour manager had said that it should be "OK." 

"Nope - can't do it," Jim said without hesitation.  "There is no way we can do a show from a flat bed…it just wouldn't be safe.  I'm not sure we would actually fit up there anyway.  I'm not trying to be a dick, but it just isn't safe."

"Gotcha - I hear what you're saying Jim.  But we have to find a way to do this show - it is supposed to start in two hours."  A crazy thought then popped into my head.  I turned to Jim.  "What if we got a second flat bed?"

"Mark - come pick me up - we have to go find some more stage."  Maybe the local Hertz or Avis locations had something we could rent - or maybe an industrial company outside of town.  Mark and I headed north our of Laredo.  We weren't 4 miles out of town when an empty flat bed passed us going south.  Mark and I looked at each other with that "are you kidding me?" look on our faces.  I think the car was on two wheels as he pulled a 180 to turn around and catch that truck.  We pulled alongside and waved him to pull over.  Mark explained to the driver what was going on and that we just needed the flat bed for about 5 hours.  He wasn't going for it until I pulled some cash out of my pocket.  Money does truly speak an international language.  Mark translated for me as I told him we would pay him $200 if he followed us back into town and parked his flat bed until 6 p.m.  He quickly agreed to the plan.  We got back into downtown Laredo around 1:30 and got the flat bed in position to give the band 16 feet of depth - instead of 8 feet.  The driver took off and as we moved the back line and instruments into place we brainstormed ways to fill in the gap between the two flat beds to make sure it was safe.  Sometime after 2 p.m., Jim, Mike and Ted came to check things out and do a quick sound check.  We already had a few hundred kids out front - but there really wasn't any other choice.  The guys did a few quick monitor checks and ran through parts of a few songs before coming off stage.  The band huddled together side stage with the tour manager - looking concerned.  Jim was a bit animated, pointing over to the stage and gesturing with both arms.  I felt a huge pain in my stomach - I think I was about to get some very bad news.  The opening band was about to start playing (as they had set up in front of the stage at ground level) and there really wasn't anything else I could do.  Mark was asking me if the show was going to happen or if he needed to get his staff out on the flat beds to entertain between band performances.  I ran over to break up this little band meeting.

"Guys.  Sorry to interrupt, but we have to do this show - on this stage.  The station has been all over the single, it is their station birthday concert and they have been on the air talking about for the last month.  I'm sorry about the flat beds.  We'll laugh about this someday - right?"  I was pleading with them.  Jim glared at me for what felt like ten minutes before cracking a smile and giving me a big pat on the back. 

"We get it.  It isn't ideal by any means, but what else do you do when you go to Laredo?  You play a rock show."  OK - record guy freaks out and band gets a good laugh.  They could have put me in a dunk tank - I was just relieved they were going to play.

Because of the logistics, equipment issues and the addition of the second flat bed, Material Issue went on stage about 90 minutes late.  But when they hit the first note of "International Pop Overthrow," I pumped my fist and gave Mark and Al a huge high five.  The band played almost an hour and a half, invited the station staff back to their hotel for an after party and headed back to Chicago - through Dallas - the next day. 

I saw Material Issue 8 - 10 more times in the next 4 years - shows at The Cubby Bear, Oak Theater and other clubs around Chicago.  I would often see Jim Ellison around town at different industry events.  The last time I saw Jim was at the Hard Rock CafĂ© in April of 1996 as he was leaving with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick.  Jim tragically took his own life on June 20, 1996.  His death hit me harder than I expected and I still miss thinking about "what could have been" for him and for Material Issue.

When my daughter entered first grade in 2005, we headed over to the annual "Back to School" picnic.  I asked her who she had met and who was in her grade.  She listed off several names - none of which I recognized.  "And a boy named Teddy," she added.  "His dad is playing in the band today over on the playground.  I can't pronounce his last name."  Almost 10 years after I had last seen Material Issue in concert, I was reunited with Ted Ansani…on our grade school playground.  I re-introduced myself and we had a nice conversation.  It felt really good to see him after all that time.  And wouldn't you know it, his oldest son, Paul, plays in a band called The Break.  Look them up - they are really good…even recently headlining a concert during the 54th Annual Grammy Awards telecast viewing party presented by the Chicago Chapter of the Recording Academy…and I am sure they didn’t have to play that show on a set of flat bed trucks.


1 comment:

  1. Great story Paul. I think that everyone who's ever thrown a big event understands that there are some pretty huge things that can go wrong and blow the doors off the best laid plans. It's how you keep your cool, recover and tell the story after the pressure dissipates that separates the best from the rest!

    ReplyDelete