Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Begin the Begin


I think the time has come to begin exploring the things I have learned and experienced during my first 20+ years in the music industry.  My hope is that the few classes journalism I took at Michigan State University (Go Green!!) along with the various copy, messaging and presentations I have written over the years will help guide me through each of these posts.  What topics will I explore?  Lessons learned in the music industry, anecdotes from being on the road (some band names may be changed in order to protect the "Not-So" innocent), my undying passion for my Michigan State Spartans and my love / hate relationship with the beloved Chicago Cubs.  I am sure a few stories will pop up centered around daily life with my 13 and 10 year old daughters - but why drag them into this so early into the process.  By the way…why 5 Degrees?  Well - 5 is my favorite number (thanks Speed Racer) and the fact that music, entertainment and marketing contain a series of steps or stages on the way to reaching your goal. 

So here we go…

Music has been at the center of my life for as long as I can remember.  It was all about WLS for me at the time.  I vividly remember being in my room waiting to hear if "Silly Love Songs" was going to beat out "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" for the #1 slot on the Big 89 Countdown for 1976.  Not only did Captain and Tennille grab #1 from McCartney and Wings…they had 4 songs in the Top 20.  And the fact that "Disco Duck" (#3) beat out  "Bohemian Rhapsody" (#6) reminds me that, even then, not everything made sense.


Radio was (and still is in some cases) "Theater of the Mind."  There was a time when I recall thinking that every time a song played on the radio that the band itself was in the studio playing it live.  Could Boston, Yes or The Steve Miller Band really be at the station right now waiting to play their song again?! 

I soon added The Loop (WLUP) as well as WMET to my repatoire of listening choices.  I couldn't wait to listen to Captain Whammo, his claims of ESP and what would pop up on the Whammo Line.  Here is a quick taste -


Bottom line - the music (the majority of it anyway) kicked ass and radio was always local and topical. 

My passion for music took over the majority of my free time...new music from REO, Genesis, The Who, J Geils, Chicago, Scorpions, Billy Joel, Bob Seger and others  in the early 80's had me heading to the record store to grab their album AND pick up the weekly WLS survey.  http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS70/surveywho.htm.  (Remember these?)  These bands gave me the chance to fight with my sister about why John Cougar kicked Air Supply's ass or why a John Denver concert (though I did see him a few times) couldn't compare to Genesis, Journey or Men At Work.  "Sailing" by Christopher Cross?  Sucked.  "Maniac" by Michael Sembello? You have got to be kidding. 

My first job out of college was radio sales at WGOR - Ape 92.1 - in Lansing, MI.  We were the Gorilla of Rock (but we played all top 40 music.  Branding issue anyone?)  My daughters still like to remind me that I actually wore gorilla costume at station when we crashed the Undy 500 promotion being run by the market-leading Top 40 station, WVIC and at station remotes.  I would have done anything for sales commission. 

Since then, Independent promotion out of Chicago for Jeff McClusky and Associates, Regional Promotion for MCA / Geffen and designing and executing touring partnerships (Justin Timberlake, Keith Urban, Taylor swift, Linkin Park, Green Day, Shakira and others) for Verizon have quickly taken me through the first 20+ years.   There were a few other quick stops in between but music was always the common thread.

Music (and my experiences in and around it) is where some of my musings may come from - as well as what is going on currently in the industry.  Hope you enjoy it and feel free to let me know if you have comments or suggestions.  If you find it interesting (or even helpful) please feel free to pass it on to your network. 

What's next?  Maybe a heart-warming story about me and Tommy Lee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment