Thursday, February 16, 2012

Never a Dull Moment


Motley Crue.  Global.  Rock Stars.  They were the definition of the word "Party" in the dictionary of rock.  Dr. Feelgood was HUGE when I first got into radio fresh out of Michigan State University.  Every DJ's dream was a song that had a 47 second intro before you had to hit the post.  Tommy Lee and Pam…the video…the stories...and the reputation.  So what was it like to wake up every day as Tommy Lee?  I guess I always felt like he would wake up every day knowing he had more to do than the average person for people to recognize that he was a good guy or at least that he wasn't a complete prick.  Or maybe he was just clueless and he just didn't care.  Well I was about to get my answer.

In 2002 Tommy was kicking off a solo tour to support his solo release, "Never a Dull Moment"  and was scheduled to come through Chicago over the 4th of July weekend.  After a day in the Chicago market visiting radio, Tommy was getting ready for a show at Northern Illinois University on July 3rd before playing in Chicago later in the week.  He seemed like a good guy to me - polite, on time, funny and completely on top of how his record was doing, where he was getting airplay and (believe me) where he wasn't getting airplay.  The morning of the NIU show I got a call from the tour manager.  The production truck got out to the venue for load-in only to find that the equipment and backline wouldn't fit on the stage.  Whoever advanced the show (he blamed the venue / promoter) completely screwed it up.  There would be no show and they had to cancel. 

The Chicago stations wouldn't care because there was still a Chicago show to come.  But for other stations in the area (mainly WXRX in Rockford - just 45 minutes North of NIU), I knew this was going to be a problem.  They had put a lot into promoting the show, had given away tickets, had put together several promotions to give away backstage / Meet N Greet passes and were playing the single, "Hold Me Down."  If they go on the air and announce the show is canceled because the gear wouldn't fit in the venue - I could only imagine how this could snowball.  WXRX was my client and I was representing Tommy.  I felt it was important to make sure Tommy wasn't to blame but to also make sure that this didn't come back to bite WXRX in the ass.  Tommy was obviously on the same page.

"Can he call the station?" I asked the tour manager.

I heard mumbling in the background followed by the receiver dropping on the floor.

"Hey Paul - it's Tommy.  Is the station pissed?  Are they getting calls from fans that had tickets?"

"No one is going to be happy about it but if we set up a call to the station and arrange to get their winners something autographed, that will be a good start" I said.

"Can we go to the station and be on the air live?  I don't want anyone thinking this was a blow-off.  How far is the station?

"I can set up whatever you want Tommy.  It is a 90 minute drive from downtown and traffic coming back will suck with people coming into Chicago for the Fireworks tonight," I explained. 

"Whatever…arrange for a car, call the program director and the three of us will have to make the best of it."

Tommy might not be the brightest guy in the music business or maybe just that he is a bit too much of a child - and maybe that is deserved with his track record - but I give him credit for seeing that actions speak louder than words.  People may forget what you say or do - but they won't forget how you made them feel.  Who knew that Tommy Lee that morning would be channeling Maya Angelo.

I called Jim stone (the program director) at WXRX and told him that I needed him to announce on the air that the show was cancelled.  He wasn't very happy and I am not sure he believed the reason for the cancellation, but there wasn't anything he or I could do about it.  He asked if Tommy would at least call the station.  "It is the least he can do.  It isn't like he has anything else to do today."

I told Jim to make sure he had time for an interview at 2 p.m. 

"Also, Jim? Call every one of the backstage winners and have them come to the studio at 2:30 - Tommy wants to apologize in person." 

"In person?  What?  Tommy is coming here?!  That is a class move." 

Tommy Lee, his tour manager and I drove out to the station and Tommy spent over an hour on the air.  He took calls, talked about the album, Motley Crue and told some road stories…at least those that wouldn't call for an FCC fine.  Each of the winners made it to the station and Tommy spent time talking with each of them in the conference room, took pictures and took care of all of their autograph requests.  Tommy had a blast and not one complaint the while day.  And when he wanted to grab something to eat on the way home and all that was close to the station was an Arby's - that is what we ate…and he bought.  (The look on the guys face at the register was priceless.  I wonder if he still tells that story.)

Tommy Lee made some friends that day and made a fan out of me as well.  Not all bands or musicians recognize an opportunity when it is presented.  Rockford wasn't a Top 20 market, it wasn't Indianapolis, Milwaukee or Minneapolis - it was Rockford - market #158 - population 293,000.  But that didn't matter to him.  I truly believe it was because he didn't like to or want to let anyone down. 

The drive back was brutal - over 2 1/2 hours, but we talked about our kids, the recording of his solo record and the difference between being behind the drum set and being the front man on stage.  I still look back on that day and laugh.  But maybe that's because we stopped to pick up Mayte on the way back to the hotel.  


2 comments:

  1. It was a great day. Tommy also pulled out a $50 and sent one of my guys to go buy a bottle of Jack Daniels that we passed around the studio. He was as nice as could be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad Mayte didn't go to Arby's too....no one would have noticed Tommy

    ReplyDelete